Call for Board Members
We need you!
Why not consider getting involved to help make a difference in this exciting and growing profession?
The IGA is seeking to fill positions for their Board of Directors (BOD) at their next AGM on October 11, 2022.
Interested applicants should contact Tracey Gage at firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter outlining your interest by October 8th at 5:00 pm.
You must demonstrate how you meet/succeed in the requirements as well as your availability. Please consider any other commitments you have that may make attending virtual meetings and working on occasional committees difficult for you.
If you have been on a board in the past or worked with a board, please make sure to outline this and supply a letter of reference from them.
All applications will be processed for eligibility by the Interpretive Guides Association eligibility committee prior to our AGM and if a vote is required the vote will take place during the AGM.
Requirements for BOD positions for IGA
Eligible and Successful Candidates Must:
- Be a voting member of the IGA in good standing (Bylaw 3.0.1)
- Be willing to govern the affairs of the Society in cooperation with fellow BOD (Bylaw5.0)
- Be willing to operate as a volunteer and thus unpaid with exceptions of reasonable expenses (Bylaw 5.2)
- Be willing to and available to meet with BOD and staff a minimum of (but not limited to) 5 times per year (Bylaw 5.13.1)
- Be willing to adhere to and accept the duties of the BOD ((Bylaw 6.0.1)
- Be willing to be part of committees as determined by the BOD (Bylaw 6.1)
- Abide by the IGA Code of Ethics and Conduct
- Be willing to familiarize themselves with the bylaws of the society
Eligible and Successful Candidates Should:
Expect to assist in supporting and promoting the IGA including (but not limited to) events, meetings with supporting organizations, assisting and supporting the Executive Director in reasonable requests for various tasks
- Be available 5-10 hours a month to attend virtual meetings, communicate via email, and participate in the occasional IGA workshop or event.
- Have some board experience and/or be willing to undertake necessary training as identified by BOD
- Understand this is a policy-only board, all operational duties fall on the ED and her team.
- Team dynamics are a critical part of this board so you must be comfortable working in ateam environment and interested in relationship development and communications.
- Have a good understanding of outdoor recreation, education, and interpretive guiding industry.
- Have experience in one or more of the following areas: education, the guiding industry, interpretation, safety, human resources, marketing, tourism, business development, partnership development, finances, bookkeeping, negotiations, event planning, communications, minute taking, not-for-profit organizations, etc.
- Make themselves available by email when possible, for situations arising that result in the requirement of an extra or emergency board meeting.
- All positions require a minimum 2-year commitment and 4-6 years are ideal.
- Have a passion for interpretation as well as the growth and development of interpretation across sectors.
Benefits of Being a Member of the IGA’s Board of Directors:
- Complimentary membership with the Interpretive Guides Association
- Gain valuable professional development hours that you can use to keep yourcertifications in good standing
- Learn about the interpretive guiding industry across Canada, governance, and leadership
- Use your skills and expertise to help direct the future of this growing organization
- Be a part of a collaborative team of interpretive guides and expand your professional network
- Learn from others in this field and help create a growing community of interpretive guides
- Be a part of something bigger - the interpretive field is growing and expanding across sectors and it is an exciting time for this profession - help us move the organization toward more greatness!
- Indigenous Liaison
- Director at Large
Have questions? Not sure you fit the requirements? We'd love to hear from you so please reach out. Tracey is excited to answer any questions you have. You can reach her at email@example.com.
We do not currently have any paid positions on the IGA team. Still, we are looking for interested individuals with a passion for the interpretive guiding industry to join our board of directors. If you would like to learn more and give back to this progressive and growing not-for-profit please reach out to Tracey Gage at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.