The IGA understands that there are times when work is scarce, sickness and injuries suddenly occur, travelling takes a front seat, or life takes you down a different path. During these times, paying your professional dues could become a lower priority.
No need to worry, we have your back, and have a built in policy to help you through this.
Keeping your certification in good standing is important and we encourage all certified guides to pay their annual dues, but if you can't, here is what you need to know:
- Missing your annual professional dues payment date will incur an automatic $10 late fee.
- You can defer your professional dues payment for up to 3 years without significant penalty.
- If you defer for between 3 and 5 years, you will need to contact us and follow the steps listed below to possibly have your certificate(s) reinstated.
- If you defer for 5 years or more, you will need to re-take and pass the course(s) to gain access to your certificate(s). If you fall in this category, please get in touch with email@example.com for a 20% discount code.
Please note that this is for guides with AI, IS, PI, or GM certifications only - if you have a Basic Knowledge certificate please click here for more information.
Dues unpaid for less than 3 years:
1. Pay this years professional dues.
2. Enter 10 hours of continuing professional development hours that you have completed in the last year, click here to submit your PD hours.
Dues unpaid for more than 3 years and less than 5 years:
Send in a request to reinstate your certification to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the following documents and information:
1. Send in a resume for the time you were not in good standing, with the following:
- All guiding/educational/interpretive related training and certifications you have completed since leaving the IGA.
- A description of the work you completed during this time (you will need to show that you have worked as a guide, educator and interpreter to be re-instated).
- Any volunteer work you completed in interpretation/education/guiding.
Note: all volunteer and paid interpretation/education/guiding work or training can be from any location in the world.
2. Re-take the exams or evaluations specific to your certification and pass with a grade of 70% or higher. All exams and evaluations are subject to additional fees.
3. Interpretive hiking guides must re-take day one of the GM course (contact email@example.com for pricing).
4. Pay this year's annual professional dues.
5. Submit 20 hours of professional development that you completed in the past year.
6. Submit a copy of your valid first aid certification based on requirements with your IGA certificate.
Dues unpaid for more than 5 years:
After 5 years of unpaid dues, certifications become null and void. If you fall in this category and wish to re-certify, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org for a 20% discount code.